Friday, November 13, 2009

Yes yes yes here we go again. Another day filled with sunshine, laughter, high pitched voices, and perhaps a little whining to go with it. Some he said she said and a guy waltzing around the room trying to have the perfect answer or response for every situation and question. I figure that for four hours a day I, or yet we, the staff, need to put our games faces on and show these youngsters what true character is, what good sportsmanship is, how to be polite and get along with others. For four hours i need to have the answers, be on my toes, and hopefully be ready for anything.
If you have worked with kids before than you know a curve ball or two is going to come your way, everyday! Am I going to miss it and go back to the dug out, or is this going to be my shining moment when all eyes are on me and I knock that curveball the heck out of this park. I'm aiming for the later. Why not right? I mean its only four hours that I must be on the top of my game. Granted, it is an exhausting four hours filled with chaos, noise, bloody noises and so, so much more.
What we need to focus on are all the opportunities that present themselves to us throughout the day. It's tuff to spot these though. They are camouflaged or can even be lost in the hustle and bustle that is after school care. But the all stars, the ones who you want on your team are the ones that can pick through all the miscellaneous crap and find little ways to connect and influence the lives of 1 or all 134ish kids that are at the site.
My advice for the rookies;
Smile every chance you get! Be positive as much as you possibly can. Never, never , miss an opportunity to say something nice to one of the littles (or fellow staff). And thank the kids and the parents everyday for coming to your site.

*Remember, after school care should be a second chance for every single kid that walks through your doors. "It matters not what happened outside of these walls. What matters are the choices you make from this point on!"
Smile, have fun, and play. Who knows, you might just be the person that kid remembers for the rest of their life. Make it a good memory!
Mr. Brisson

1 comment:

  1. They are so lucky to have you as a role model. You're such a good person, and I admire what you are doing for these kids.
    ~Carrie

    ReplyDelete

My photo
Santa Rosa, CA, United States
Currently trying to get better.