Monday, March 2, 2009

I smile when I'm running.

I went for my 7 mile run today just like on any other day. However, my every other day routine sorta slipped into a week of no running combined with a weekend of binge eating. My long time friend was in town whom has just recently received his prosthetic leg. A while back he was involved in a motorcycle accident but thankfully we still have him around today. The weekend was filled with emotional conversations and challenging mental obstacles for us all to try and work through. To say the least, we found some comfort through fatty foods like pizza, M&M's, sausages and beer. After the weekend was over, and my good friend had left (hopefully in better spirits then when he arrived) I had what I call a food hangover. My body felt gross, my stomach and intestines hurt and the last thing I wanted to do was go run. So, last night I decided that no matter the weather conditions or aches that my body may have I was going to go for a run. That was an easy decision last night (refer to previous blog posting) however this morning my body and bed were begging me to stay and sleep. No matter what they said though I was on my way out the door. 
Once out and running in the park my body began to remind me of all the junk I had put into it over the course of the last few days. Mile 1 reminded me that I had not stretched in a few days while miles 2, 3 and 4 were ugly reminders of the pizza and beer. Then as I saw another runner going the opposite direction I took note that he looked absolutely miserable. Head down, forehead all wrinkled up like he was just barley making it through his run. At that moment I remembered a little old trick of mine to help me get through these hard times. Smile! As soon as I put that first smile on my face I instantly forgot about the comfort foods and lack of exercise during the week before. Suddenly the air seemed fresh and the rain very welcoming. How could one little thing help so much.? Well by mile 5 the stomach reminded me that I should have taken better care of myself and now my limbs were beginning to hurt as well. Where did my smile go? It seems I must have let it slip away while splashing through a puddle or taking a branch to the shin. As I forced myself to use those muscles on my face once again I found that my pain seemed to slip away as easily as the smile had. This time however, I was determined to keep that smile there for as much of the rest of my run as I could. Every time I passed another jogger, or walker, I made sure that there was that big old Joey smile lighting up my face. By doing this I constantly reminded my body that I could beat the aches and pains it threw my way with a simple smile. My run was both exhausting and refreshing and I have a smile to thank for it. Next time your out on one of your trots around town, or strolls through the park try throwing a smile on that mug of yours and I'm sure you will notice a huge difference in the way your body feels during the run. Keep smiling and keep running!

1 comment:

  1. Same old Joey, I LOVE the thoughts on smiling. I heard a quote once that said "If you're happy, notify your face." Good job enjoying the simple pleasures Mother Nature has to offer.

    ReplyDelete

My photo
Santa Rosa, CA, United States
Currently trying to get better.