Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I run becuse...

A friend of mine once asked me "why the hell do you want to go running" and told me that "only an idiot would pay to go running with a bunch of other people". To this guy there is no reason to run. Cleaner arteries, a stronger heart, less weight burdening your body, all unfounded reasons I suppose.  Well, I say to you foolish man, I run because I like to , because it's healthy and because I can! 

I run because it puts me in control. I decide how far to go, how hard to run and what to think about while I'm running. No one else gets to control me. If I need a break, I take one. When I have to pee, I pee. If I want to stop and smell some pine needles then I'll stop and smell some. The route I take is only determined by my own limitations. It's just me out there, relying only on myself and counting only on myself. When else in life can we really say, "it's all up to me". At work we accomplish tasks for someone else. You are given parameters and guidelines,  like reins on a horse, that keep us moving in a predetermined direction. Some might argue that their job gives them the freedom to be creative and drive a business in the direction they want to go, but ultimately we are all looking over our shoulders hoping that what we do meets the approval of the big boss man or boss women. When we run we are truly free. Your mind, body, and soul are in charge, and no one can take that from you.

I also run because it is healthy for me. Sure, my knees hurt and the muscles ache, but isn't this just a small price to pay for the overall benefit we are receiving by stepping out for a run. Now don't get me wrong, I like a little tummy fat. I carry some around myself and perhaps a small love handle or two. But if you let that start getting out of hand your asking your body to carry an extra burden. Your asking your heart to work harder and with worse and worse equipment. Call me narcissistic if you want but I love seeing and feeling my bodies response to repeated exercise. Knowing that I am shaping myself, healing myself, and bettering myself is exhilarating! Throughout my entire childhood I absolutely hated and feared instances that were going to call for me to take my shirt off. Sure I loved to swim and would swim when I had the opportunity but I truly hated those moments between taking my shirt off and getting into the pool. By running I have began to improve my self image and self confidence. Sure I'm still hesitant to take the top off but at least now I am starting to get proud of the body I am creating. 

Lastly, although the reasons are endless, I run because I can. Running is simple, which is great for a simple guy like myself. No fancy bike is needed, no expensive car has to be fixed up and the only equipment I really need is a pair of shoes and something to cover my #*%!. Maintain your health and you can run forever. No flat tires, no blown head gaskets, no broken bats or gloves, just me and my body. Another one of my Friends used to always tell me how he wanted to start doing this or that, however there was always some excuse as to why he couldn't start today. "First I gotta  buy some pads", or "when I get the money I'm going to sign up for...". Well, unfortunately fate has taken away one of his legs and now most of what he was going to do is far out of reach both physically and mentally for him. (Yes he still could do anything he puts his mind to, that's not my point). He missed his best opportunity to do all that he wanted to do. That opportunity is today! I run because I can, right now without hesitation.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring, and if I wait now, I may have to wait forever.

If you need some motivation then email me and we can talk about running together. Although I love running alone their are huge, huge benefits to running with a partner. Until next time....GO RUN!

1 comment:

  1. Joey! I love this. I might have to read it whenever I feel like I am too lazy or will balk out of a run. It genuinely made me smile and want to ditch work to go run. I do not have your luck - I cannot just stop to pee if the need arises. Well I could... but it would be a lot of awkwardness between me and nature.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

My photo
Santa Rosa, CA, United States
Currently trying to get better.